Pages

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Leaving on a Jet Plane

I wrote this from the Newark airport but it never got published for a number of reasons...So this would have been written on Dec. 21 as we were en route to China.  

We're finally on our way!  It's so hard to believe it's actually happening after all this time.  Oh, the emotions!  My husband said it was like the week I was due before I had the boys- so much excitement and walking around feeling giddy with anticipation.  Of course we are nervous and worried and... half a dozen other emotions, but it's hard to type it all out.  

We left Washington, D.C. this morning at 7  and are now waiting in the Newark airport for our direct flight to Beijing.  It's gonna be a long one- almost fourteen hours but I'm so glad it's direct.  So far the boys have been troopers.  They are getting along famously and entertaining themselves and being generally helpful.  Let's hope this trend continues...oh, for the next 16 days or so!  

Since we got TA earlier this week, I have hardly slept.  Not because I wasn't tired, I was/am actually exhausted!  I have been going non-stop because there is just so much to do!  Oh my.  Wednesday morning just as I was getting the boys on the bus for school and getting ready to get out the door to work, my younger son told me the floor in the foyer was wet and I thought it was just snow tracked in and told him so.  Turns out we had a plumbing leak.  Ugh!  Nothing like water coming through the ceiling when you have a million other things to do.  Then on Thursday night as I was getting ready to go to sleep around 1:30 AM, my oldest son started moaning and then moments later, vomiting.  Yep, tummy bug.  Five minutes later my other son started barfing too.   I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.  Seriously.  Barf everywhere and lots of laundry to do- just what you need when you're trying to pack everyone  up and clean the house for a long trip!  Thankfully my husband was planning to be home and run errands while I finished out the week at work so he stayed home with the kiddos and did a great job cleaning up.  Unfortunately with two sick kids at home, he couldn't do the errands he had planned (I had planned for him!).  So, it was left to me to work, prep my office and paperwork for me to be away for three weeks *and* run a dozen errands.  I got a two hour nap last night before we had to wake up to drive to the airport.  Amazingly I'm not that tired- yet.  I think it's all the adrenaline-HA!  Two more hours and then we're off-for real.  

No comments:

Post a Comment